For my first post, I'm featuring a relatively healthy banana muffin recipe that I've tweaked over the years that has become a family favourite. In fact, I think family deliberately allow bananas to become over-ripe, always leaving just 3 from the bunch to go spotty, just so I'll make them.
|dry ingredients with centre well|
You want to almost fill the pan with the mixture...the batter's quite thick so it won't overflow.
The recipe makes 12 good-sized muffins that are moist and have great banana flavour. The chocolate chips can be replaced with chopped nuts or omitted altogether...the muffin will still be delicious.
Whole Wheat Banana-Chocolate Chip Muffins
Makes 12 muffins
Makes 12 muffins
1 1/2 cups/195g whole wheat all purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp table salt
1 cup/255g mashed ripe bananas (2 large or 3 medium)
1/2 cup/109g packed light brown sugar
2 large eggs
1/3 cup/80ml canola oil
1/2 cup/84g semi-sweet chocolate chips
1. Pre-heat oven to 375F/190C. Grease a 12-cup muffin tin or line with paper liners.
2. Measure flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt into a medium sized bowl and stir to combine.
3. In a small bowl, mash bananas well. Whisk in the brown sugar, eggs and oil until all ingredients are well blended.
4. Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients. Pour the wet ingredients into the well and stir using a large wooden spoon. Add the chocolate chips to the batter while there are still pockets of dry mixture and stir a few more times. The batter should be thick and lumpy but dry ingredients should no longer be visible.
5. Spoon batter into the prepared muffin tin until 3/4 full - a generous ice cream scoopful is about the right amount. Bake 18-20 minutes on the middle rack of the oven until tops are golden and the centre springs back when pressed lightly with a finger.
6. Cool 5 minutes in the pan before removing.
Best eaten freshly made but these do stay moist for a few days if stored in a tightly sealed container. They can also be frozen if they're wrapped well.