Tuesday, October 10, 2017

Babas au Rhum - Tuesdays with Dorie

This week's project for Tuesdays with Dorie was a small yeasted cake soaked in sweet syrup and filled with cream. 

The batter was easy to make and came together in just over 15 minutes in the stand mixer. I didn't have regular yeast so I used instant yeast. I reduced the amount to 1-1/2 tsp (about 25% less) but even that was too much I think. It has a faster rise than regular yeast but I was still surprised that during its second proof the batter crested the top of the pan (I used a regular muffin tin) in less than 15 minutes(!) and mushroomed over the top during baking. I ended up not with the pretty little spheres I'd hoped for but ungainly looking oversized muffins!
The texture was good....the crumb was fine and delicate but again I think my choice of yeast or the quantity I used was a problem because even drenched in the citrusy-rum syrup, which was quite delicious, I could taste yeast. They did get eaten but this definitely was not one of my better bakes.

6 comments:

  1. Good to know about the yeast. I think I only have rapid rise myself. I am making these next so was happy to see you bake it first.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm... good info to know. I'm a little nervous to make these...

    ReplyDelete
  3. yes, i'll keep this in mind when i make them, too. babas are a favorite of mine to get a french restaurants, so i'm crossing my fingers that my dough cooperates.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I only have instant yeast too. Good to hear your thoughts on it. Your babas look good to me in any event. I don't think this one is work friendly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the texture of these yeast cakes than cakes leaved by baking powder. I like the way you piped the cream.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good to know about the yeast! I like how yours look with the piped cream! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting. I'd love to hear from you.