Tuesday, August 29, 2017

White Gold Passion Genoise

The White Gold Passion Genoise was one of the recipes that drew me to Rose Levy Beranbaum's book Rose's Heavenly Cakes. In the author's words, "it's a glorious combination of white chocolate and passion fruit". How could I resist? When I saw the five pages of instructions, I thought perhaps I could after all but I do love a baking challenge!
There were a few components to tackle: the genoise; passionfruit syrup to moisten and flavour the cake; passionfruit curd filling; white chocolate-cream cheese buttercream. Some of the parts were a bit tricky for me to make. I've baked my share of rubbery genoise with flour pellets speckling the bottom and I've witnessed what overheating the white chocolate custard base for the buttercream does to it but everything went well this time since I paid close attention to those five pages of helpful hints and tips.
I made the cake the first time for my birthday a few years ago - yes, I bake my own birthday cakes - and thought it one of the most delicious things I had ever tasted. I deviated slightly from the original recipe this time and created a 4-layer cake with a double recipe of genoise and syrup and 1.5x the buttercream. I used an entire package of frozen passionfruit purée for the curd, about twice what was needed so there was plenty left over (for one of my favourite frozen desserts).
This cake captured all of the deliciousness of the original. The vanilla sponge was light and moist and imbued with the tartness of passionfruit, and the zingy passionfruit curd filling was the perfect foil for the delicate but rich white chocolate cream cheese frosting. Every bite was sheer bliss.

As with most frosted layer cakes, this one did require a little bit of planning but the experience of eating it made it well worth the time and effort of making.


I'm linking this post to Cookbook Countdown hosted by Kitchen Flavours and Emily's Cooking (Makan2) Foray. 

6 comments:

  1. Wow, I'm impressed! Your cake is stunning! Rose has the knack of explaining everything in detail, sometimes I get confused with the thorough explanation! But in the end, it always pays off, her recipes are fabulous!
    You have done a superb job with both the cake and the decoration. Wish I could have a slice. Looks so delicate, delicious and beautiful!
    Thanks for joining us this month at CC!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Joyce, I was really happy with the way it turned out.

      Delete
  2. I am speechless! A stunning piece by you! Welcome back to CC!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are too kind Emily. I'm glad to be back at CC and plan to participate regularly.

      Delete
  3. Hello Zosia, your golden passionate Genosie Cake looks absolutely beautiful,you did such a lovely job mine came out like yuck,yours is really nice the way you did it, I have to try it again and try and have more patience next time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rosa but I remember your cake and it was beautiful.

      Delete

Thank you for visiting. I'd love to hear from you.