Wednesday, August 30, 2017

Coconut-Passionfruit Ice Cream Sandwiches

End of summer means many different things to me, mostly good things, but also one I don't look forward to, one of my most dreaded household chores, defrosting the deep freezer! But it must be done to make way for all of the gorgeous local produce I freeze every year.

I decided to treat myself to something a little special after surviving this year's ordeal ;)! I was inspired by the container of passionfruit curd, left over from this White Gold Passion Genoise and destined for the freezer, and the amount of space I'd created in that appliance, enough to now comfortably house my ice cream maker's freezer bowl. A batch of one my favourite ice creams was in the cards.
Passionfruit curd forms the base of this ice cream. All you have to do is blend in some cream, milk, a little sugar and vanilla bean paste and churn. It's as easy as that and results in an incredibly smooth and creamy ice cream with pure passionfruit flavour: tart, fresh and tangy.
In defrosting the freezer, I always come across ingredients I forgot I had that need to be used soon. I knew the unsweetened coconut I found would pair perfectly with my ice cream, especially in cookie form. These too were easy to make with all of the ingredients added to the food processor before being rolled out, chilled and baked (a process I altered slightly from the original recipe).

These sandwiches were completely delicious. The cookies had good coconut flavour, weren't very sweet, stayed remarkably crunchy and complemented the ice cream perfectly. It's a special combination that will be repeated.

If you would like to make these tropical treats for yourself, the recipes can be found here:

Pure Passion Ice Cream is surprisingly from a book devoted to pastry, The Pie and Pastry Bible by Rose Levy Beranbaum. The recipe for passionfruit curd is included but I made mine for another project from Rose's Heavenly Cakes. Coconut Crisps from The Baking Bible by Rose Levy Beranbaum are the cookies I used to sandwich that delectable ice cream. The recipe is also available here.

I'm linking this post to Cookbook Countdown hosted by Kitchen Flavours and Emily's Cooking (Makan2) Foray. 

3 comments:

  1. Zosia, I do have Rose's Heavenly Cakes... only to be admired at (from afar) once in a while! You are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ps: that second picture is heavenly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous delicious treat! I have a bag of passionfruit which my sister gave me, and was thinking of making curd. Ice cream sounds divine too! How I wish to bite into that ice cream sandwich of yours! Looks utterly yummy!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting. I'd love to hear from you.