Tuesday, May 9, 2017

Plain and Simple Almond Cake - Tuesdays with Dorie

This week's project from Dorie Greenspan's Baking Chez Moi is the type of versatile cake I like to bake: it uses just a few basic ingredients I always have on hand and it's quick to put together; it can be baked successfully in different shapes and sizes (I know from experience that this isn't always the case with some recipes); most importantly, it's light and moist with a lovely almond-vanilla flavour, delicious on its own or with innumerable accompaniments.
I've made it a few times and I did find it to be a little sweeter than I like the first time so now use 50g less sugar. I've enjoyed it with fresh berries and crème fraîche, as a layer cake filled with lemon curd, and, in my latest version, as mini cakes accompanied by toasted almonds and Greek yogurt.

To see what the other bakers thought, visit Tuesdays with Dorie.

9 comments:

  1. This is so cute. I have to try this with fresh berries when they come to the market.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These little ones look really cute. How do you get around the cake sticking to the pan?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used Baker's Joy baking spray with this one but Pam baking spray (if you don't mind the smell of it) and Wilton's cake release (or the homemade version of it) are equally good.

      Delete
    2. I often use Trader Joe's Coconut oil spray!

      Delete
  3. Your cakes look so pretty. The lemon curd variation sounds fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. All your versions sound delicious. I look forward to making this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. these are adorable, what type of pan is this? It almost looks like a canele but wider.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Victoria. It's a really old pan that my mother gave me. She always called it a mary ann shortcake pan.

      Delete

Thank you for visiting. I'd love to hear from you.