Tuesday, May 23, 2017

Pistachio and Berry Gratins - Tuesdays with Dorie

This week for Tuesdays with Dorie, I made fruit gratins, raspberries and blueberries topped with nutty pistachio cream, baked until the fruit was bubbling and the topping golden and crisp. It looked delicious in the book photo and sounded even better.
But it didn't quite work out for me. First of all, there didn't seem to be enough fruit for 6 portions so I distributed it among only 4 ramekins and reduced the pistachio cream accordingly. Then during baking, most of the topping sank into the fruit (Dorie did say this might happen), sweetening it and thickening the juices. The result was similar to a thick berry jam topped with a thin, crunchy crust. 

I'm on the fence about this one. While I enjoyed the flavour, the texture wasn't my favourite. I think I prefer crisps and crumbles where the fruit retains more of its integrity and there's more of a distinction between fruit and topping.

Visit here to see what everyone else thought. 

6 comments:

  1. Aw that's too bad you didn't enjoy but hey, as we know you can't like everything, right? Onto the next one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look very pretty even though the texture wasn't just right.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did not particularly like these either but my husband really liked it. I liked the Almond cake much better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This dessert is incomplete. I ate it with some ice cream which helped. The texture of a cherry gratin is better. I can see why you are on the fence.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks great but I agree with you this was not my favourite

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting. I'd love to hear from you.