Friday, April 7, 2017

Honey-Baked Rhubarb - IHCC Welcome Hugh!

I'm helping to welcome Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall, our new featured chef for the next 6 months, to I Heart Cooking Clubs this week. I was first introduced to him when I picked up his book River Cottage Veg a few years ago and became quite familiar with his approach to food and style of cooking as I cooked my way through about two-thirds of the recipes in that book with the Cottage Cooking Club
I enjoyed that experience so much, I bought another of his books, River Cottage Everyday and that's where I looked for this week's recipe, one that focuses on a locally grown, seasonal ingredient: rhubarb. Hugh describes this "vegetable with an identity crisis" as one of his favourite "fruits". 

His appreciation of it shows in this simple roasted compote. Judicious use of honey sweetens it just enough and orange juice and zest enhance its fresh and tangy flavour.
He offers several serving suggestions for it and I followed one of them, swirling it into a bowl of yogurt. Delicious!

The recipe for Honey-Baked Rhubarb can be found here and if you're looking for more ways to use rhubarb, he has some other great ones in this book. I can recommend the Rhubarb and Orange Smoothie, a wonderful pick-me up any time of day, and his fabulous Rhubarb Clafoutis, which has become one of our favourite desserts. 

To see the other welcoming dishes at IHCC, visit here.

3 comments:

  1. I recently saw rhubarbs in the market was wondering what to do with them since I have never had them, this is a lovely recipe to try :) have a nice weekend

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made a Dorie Greenspan recipe for rhubarb very similar to this and it was incredible. I think rhubarb is so underrated! That smoothie is on my list!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to take a favorable look at rhubarb again after seeing this beautiful dish you put together.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting. I'd love to hear from you.