Saturday, March 4, 2017

Steel Cut Oatmeal

I've always made steel cut oatmeal according to the package directions, cooked in water with a little salt, with milk, spices, fruit, sweetener, whatever I felt like having at the time, added to my bowl. Then I came across a recipe in Flour, Too by Joanne Chang that replaces half the water with milk. I was amazed at the difference it made....so incredibly rich and creamy you would think it wasn't good for you.
I still follow the package cooking directions for the brand I buy but replace half the water with milk and add some sweetener and spice to my pot so it tastes great just the way it is but you can dress it up even more with dried fruits and nuts, fresh fruit or fruit compotes so it's a different bowl every time.
Steel Cut Oatmeal
inspired by Flour, Too
serves 4

Ingredients:
200g/1 cup steel cut oats
540ml/2-1/4 cups low-fat milk
540ml/2-1/4 cups water
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
2 tbsp brown sugar or maple syrup
1 tsp vanilla  

Method:
In a medium saucepan, combine the steel cut oats, milk, water, salt and cinnamon. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium, medium-low to maintain a simmer and cook for 20-25 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the oats are cooked (soft with a bit of chew in the centre - al dente).

Remove the pot from the heat and stir in the brown sugar and vanilla. Serve with your favourite toppings.

Store leftovers in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to a week.  One minute on high with 1 tbsp milk stirred in is all that's needed to reheat a single serving in the microwave.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting. I'd love to hear from you.