Monday, December 12, 2016

Spiced Honey Cake - Tuesdays with Dorie

I've made a few versions of pain d'épices, a classic French spice cake and this week it was time to try Dorie Greenspan's. Her recipe from Baking Chez Moi replaced traditional rye flour with all-purpose, and included dried cherries, orange zest and a rather intriguing infusion of fresh ginger, lavender and Sichuan peppercorns.
The flavour was described as "fascinating" and "haunting" in the headnotes. Unfortunately, that didn't translate to "good tasting" to my family who thought the ginger and lavender, both of which were quite noticeable, were overpowering. I didn't mind the cake from the start, and it continued to grow on me the more I had, and I really liked the orange notes with the spices. But there are still 2 mini loaves in the freezer that are just for me so I doubt I'll be making this again.

I wonder what the other Tuesdays with Dorie bakers thought of it. Maybe they made the chocolate truffles, our other December pick, instead - those I can tell you were fabulous.

9 comments:

  1. I found the lavender to be strong, but not unpleasantly so. I probably won't make it again either, but it was fun to try something new. Yours looks pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found the lavendar to be non-existant (I used lavender sugar and the flavour was pronounced in the syrup) and my cake was DRY.. Yours looks lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, it looks lovely, fwiw. Sorry you didn't enjoy this... I can't get lavendar around here, so I may just leave it out with what the general consensus is.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like your crumb shot. This cake is certainly not as light and open crumb as most cakes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really liked the flavors but the texture was a bit different. Fun to try though and your slices look great.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the taste of this cake but not so much on the texture. My family is not in favour of this cake too. Like you, I'm finishing it all on my own!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your cake looks great. I think we are just more used to moister cakes than the french. Mine is still ripening. I'm afraid to open it up in case that dries it out even more. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fun to try them out anyway...on to the next one!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Funny I did not taste the ginger at all. This is still a dry cake after sitting for one day. I do like the flavor of orange and cherry though.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting. I'd love to hear from you.