Sunday, December 11, 2016

Rabbit Ragu with Pappardelle

I've recently embraced braising as a method of cooking less tender cuts of meat; besides producing meat that is fork-tender, it creates a fabulous sauce imbued with the flavour of all of the ingredients that have kept the meat company during its slow simmer.
Rabbit Ragu with Pappardelle from The Essential New York Times Cookbook is one of my family's favourite braised dishes. It does take a bit of time to cook, but most of it is hands-free, and since the flavour does improve the next day, it's a great make-ahead dish.
Made with basic pantry ingredients (onions,carrots, celery, garlic, tomato paste, chicken stock, canned tomatoes), and not-so-basic rabbit (readily available in stores but not so much in my kitchen), the sauce is incredibly rich in flavour. I like to purée it before adding the moist, shredded rabbit meat back in so it's creamy and silky and coats the pasta perfectly. Hearty but not too heavy, it's a great dish to share with family and friends.

The recipe is on page 352 in the book and can be found here

1 comment:

  1. Rabbit is rarely available where I am, otherwise it would be a great dish to try. I have cooked duck ragu before though.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting. I'd love to hear from you.