Monday, November 7, 2016

Thai Roasted Squash - IHCC Featured Ingredient: Squash

Nigel Slater's recipe for Hot, Sweet Baked Pumpkin from his book The Kitchen Diaries II is a great way to liven up this winter vegetable. Roasted until caramelized then glazed with a Thai-inspired dressing, calling it merely hot and sweet really doesn’t begin to describe the bursts of flavour in every bite.
I usually use butternut squash and replace the butter with a light misting of oil to coat the pieces. The roasting time will vary with the type of squash you use so I would start checking on it well before the hour is up. Butternut squash is usually ready for the dressing after 35-40 minutes. 

For the glaze, I use a mortar and pestle instead of a food processor to create the paste of ginger, hot chili and lime zest and replace the fish sauce with soy sauce so vegetarian daughter can eat it.
Tangy and imbued with sweet chili heat, this squash will enliven any main course as a side dish but it's also fantastic served with black rice for a vegetarian meal, especially with an extra drizzle of the dressing.

I Heart Cooking Clubs is featuring squash this week so I'm sharing my favourite winter squash recipe courtesy of Nigel Slater.

6 comments:

  1. These winter vegetables are so welcome right now! I've had my fill of tomatoes and zucchini, leafy lettuce, peas and pea pods. I'm on to the squashes, cauliflower, broccoli, and kale and spinach. Time for wintertime veg!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I would have no problem finishing a big plate of this. I love roasted pumpkin and these looks very flavourful and delicious from the Thai dressing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I could imagine how the hot chili spice dressing does wonder with the sweetness of the butternut squash.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like those easy to prepare recipes. And yes it's time for winter vegetables here in Northern Germany, today everything was covered with hoarfrost. Just the right weather to enjoy your meal

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll bet the leftovers (if there are any...) would be delicious on a salad, too. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love how much autumn flavours this dish is screaming out right now. Beautiful :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting. I'd love to hear from you.