Monday, November 21, 2016

Apple Speculoos Crumble - Tuesdays with Dorie

Fruit crisps and crumbles are among my favourite desserts and this one from Dorie Greenspan's book Baking Chez Moi was a winner.

It was easier than most, relying on store-bought cookies for the crumble topping. Unfortunately, I couldn't find the recommended brands in my local grocery stores and wasn't sure what a good substitute might be so I made Dorie's Speculoos from the same book (page 320). 
This was a tasty dessert with some cranberries and a squeeze of lemon juice added to the apples and a topping of homemade maple syrup ice cream (Jackie's Maple Syrup Ice Cream from The Dahlia Bakery Cookbook by Tom Douglas). The cookie crumble remained crunchy after baking and its spice flavour complemented the apples nicely.....very good for the small amount of effort that went into it, not counting baking the cookies ;)!

This was one of the November selections for Tuesdays with Dorie. Visit here to see what the others baked this week.

6 comments:

  1. Glad you enjoyed it, and I agree it was gloriously easy to make. I was not as keen on it, but it did taste better the second day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was good! And maple syrup ice cream sounds divine! Impressed that you made both the speculoos and the ice cream. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just found speculoos in Sobeys last weekend! I'm interested to try Dorie's version in DC because they look much lighter than the ones from AMFT. Might be a Christmas project!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Coppa's has them now too....I should have waited a few weeks. My cookies are probably a little lighter than they're supposed to be since I used honey instead of molasses.

      Delete
  4. Maple syrup ice cream would have been a fabulous addition! And good for you for making your own cookies!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was easy and we enjoyed it too. That maple ice cream sounds good.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting. I'd love to hear from you.