Friday, October 14, 2016

"Perfect" Flaky and Tender Cream Cheese Pie Crust - Cookbook Countdown BAKE!

For the one pie I bake every year, Prize Pumpkin Pie for Canadian Thanksgiving, I've been using the all-butter Basic Flaky Pastry Pie Crust from Rose Levy Beranbaum's The Pie and Pastry Bible. Once I got the hang of making it - I'm not really very good with pastry - I managed to get pretty consistent results over the years.
But Rose Levy Beranbaum swears by her Perfect Flaky and Tender Cream Cheese Pie Crust, an improved version of the original from The Pie and Pastry Bible. She has so much confidence in it, it's the only one she uses for all of the pies in her latest tome, The Baking Bible, the cookbook I used.
The dough comprised flour, salt, baking powder, butter, cream cheese, cream and cider vinegar. I used bleached all-purpose flour but I'll try to get my hands on the recommended pastry flour next time or perhaps I'll try the cake & pastry blend that's available here.
The food processor made short work of mixing and breaking down the ingredients (I think I over-processed it a little) but it didn't bring the dough together. Using a freezer bag was a neat and easy way to do that with some squishing and kneading action.
Chilled, it was easy to work with, requiring very little flour to prevent sticking.
I always make cookies from the scraps of dough, sprinkling the pastry with cinnamon sugar.
It looked great after baking. The shrinkage was a bit more than I expected but I probably over-worked the dough or stretched it too much putting it into the pie plate or didn't let it rest in the fridge long enough before baking or all of the above!!! I said I wasn't very good with pastry.....
It was tender and flaky and had a really good neutral flavour that would suit all sorts of fillings. Was it perfect? Mine wasn't, through no fault of the recipe or its creator (see above for possible reasons), but it was definitely the best one I've made so far.

Try it for yourself. The recipe can be found here.

I'm linking this post to Cookbook Countdown Special: Bake  hosted by Kitchen Flavours and Emily's Cooking (Makan2) Foray. 

2 comments:

  1. Hi Zosia,
    I thought that your pastry was perfectly made. Look at the even thin crust at the base! Nice work! And the sides looks flaky and tender. And the filling looks smooth and sets perfectly! You have made one beautiful pie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do like cream cheese in pie crusts, extra tasty! You got a great looking pie there, Zosia!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting. I'd love to hear from you.