Tuesday, October 11, 2016

Pear Tart with Crunchy Almond Topping - Tuesdays with Dorie

The baking group Tuesdays with Dorie helped Canadians celebrate Thanksgiving yesterday with this month's selections of this elegant fruit tart and the more casual (but even more delicious in my opinion) Custardy Apple Squares, both from Dorie Greenspan's book Baking Chez Moi.
I always like to add something fruity to our Thanksgiving dessert table to keep the pumpkin treats company. This choice was perfect since it used beautiful local pears and for a tart with three components, was quite easy to put together: a sweet cookie crust (best tart crust ever!) that could be made in advance and frozen; chopped pears that were caramelized stove top before being baked in the pastry shell; a crunchy topping of toasted almonds

Pears and almonds are just so "right" together that it was no surprise it tasted great but I also loved the textural contrast of all of the layers. It was a big hit with everyone

I'll post about the yummy apple squares next time. Did the others bake with apples or pears this week? Visit here to find out

9 comments:

  1. This tartnjoined our Thanksgiving table over here as well. SUCH an easy but elegant tart, we all loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Thanksgiving! You've made such an elegant tart that would enliven any dessert table. Is this the best almond tart recipe you have ever come across? Just curious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think of this as more of a pear tart with almonds. I certainly prefer it to tarts made with pears and frangipane - more textural interest and the toasted almond flavour makes it very special for me. The only almond tart I've made was an ABC challenge KAF recipe with a frangipane type filling - good but it had no fruit (which I love!)

      Delete
    2. It's hard to beat pears and frangipane, may be some toasted almond on top for some crunchiness. Some food for thoughts.

      Delete
  3. So pretty! I am looking forward to making this next!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely looking tart. I have also made this one (though I posted the apple squares), and I thought it was delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful--a great Thanksgiving dessert!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree that Dorie's tart crusts are the best ever. I look forward to making this next. It looks delicious. Happy Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yours turned out beautifully - perfect for a holiday table!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting. I'd love to hear from you.