Friday, October 21, 2016

Asiago Cheese Bagels

The Bread Baking Babes baked bagels this month and I'm baking along with them again as a buddy. Inspired by the popularity of Panera Bread's Asiago bagel, Karen of Karen's Kitchen Stories, host kitchen of the month, came up with these bagels that aren't just topped with Asiago cheese but have some inside as well for double the goodness.
The recipe is based on one by Peter Reinhart. I have total respect for the man but his bagel recipe from The Bread Baker's Apprentice is one of my bread baking failures - over-proofed, they collapsed in the water bath and never rebounded. I liked the idea of redeeming myself with this one.
I followed the recipe as written though it took me a few extra minutes of kneading by hand to incorporate the cheese. The change to Mr. Reinhart's method, refrigerating the bagels immediately after shaping instead of allowing them to proof first, gave me more control over proofing. No collapsed bagels this time!
These were fabulous, not just in flavour but in texture as well, with the chewiness you expect but with a softer, moister crumb. And I thought they looked quite good too. Barley malt syrup tinted my dough a pale caramel and also helped create that beautiful bronzed finish on the baked bagel.

Many thanks to Karen for the great recipe, one I'll definitely make again.

You'll find Karen's recipe here as well as the links to all of the other BBB's bagel posts.

7 comments:

  1. Looking good! Never made bagels before, this is enticing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look amazing!!! I can't find your email so can you email me again at karen.h.kerr @ gmail.com so I can send your badge?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They tasted amazing too. Email has been sent again.

      Delete
  3. Just featured your bagels in a round up of breads!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love cheese Bagels indeed, yours look really good, can you share what you did different so I can try them like yours..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rosa, I really didn't make any changes to Karen's recipe and method, just made it as written. I used the malt syrup instead of powder because that's all I had. Next day, mine didn't need the full hour to proof once they were out of the fridge, only about 30 minutes. I hope you give them a try...they were really good.

      Delete
    2. thank you Zsia , so all you did was use malt syrup and toke the bagels out of the fridge for 30 minutes before baking , thank you for your input.

      Delete

Thank you for visiting. I'd love to hear from you.