Friday, September 9, 2016

Quinoa Cakes with Beet Greens and Beet Salad - Cookbook Countdown

Quinoa and beets, both members of a plant family of edible weeds, leaves and seeds (Goosefoot and Amaranth) came together perfectly in this delicious vegetarian dish from Deborah Madison's book Vegetable Literacy, a cookbook arranged according to edible plant families.
The cakes were crisp little patties of cooked quinoa, wilted beet greens and feta cheese flavoured with onions and cilantro. They were accompanied by a salad of steamed beets dressed with a squeeze of lemon juice.

I love beets but I've yet to convince anyone else in the family to eat them, though they may give them another try if plant breeders are successful in eliminating their dirt flavour, but they were quite happy to devour the patties (and the greens from two bunches of beets that went into them) with a dollop of Greek yogurt. And I am in beet heaven with a stash of cooked beets in the freezer just for me!
I'm linking this post to Cookbook Countdown hosted by Kitchen Flavours and Emily's Cooking (Makan2) Foray.

3 comments:

  1. I have recently become a quinoa fan. I usually just use it like I would rice, but these patties look great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Quinoa patty looks great with the beets!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks interesting! Beets in fritters! Glad that your family enjoyed these patties!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting. I'd love to hear from you.