Wednesday, September 14, 2016

Devilled Eggs with Tarragon - Cookbook Countdown

I've been cooking from Vegetable Literacy by Deborah Madison this month for Cookbook Countdown, an event that's encouraged me to cook from some of my rarely used cookbooks. This book is not strictly about vegetables but all edible members of a dozen selected plant families. The sunflower family is the source of a broad range of foodstuffs, some familiar to me - artichokes, lettuces, safflower, sunflower, chamomile, tarragon - and some less so - salsify, cardoon, burdock....
Egg Salad with Tarragon, Parsley and Chives was the recipe I chose from this chapter but I decided to make devilled eggs for fun instead, using the same ingredients, mixing them with the yolks and piping them into the cooked egg white shells.
They were sooo good. The herbs gave them a fresh flavour and mayonnaise ensured a creamy filling. They were quite different from my Mum's recipe of mustard and mayonnaise with a dusting of paprika, the one I usually make and the family favourite, but delicious nevertheless.
I'm linking this post to Cookbook Countdown hosted by Kitchen Flavours and Emily's Cooking (Makan2) Foray.

3 comments:

  1. These look devillishly delish! So clever of you! I have always wanted to make devilled eggs, piped ones I mean!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your devilled eggs looks delicious. With all the mixed herbs, I'm sure they are delish indeed!
    Did not even know of the sunflower family "members"! Interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look perfect. The Man would love these.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting. I'd love to hear from you.