Thursday, September 22, 2016

Braised Fennel Wedges with Saffron and Tomato - Cookbook Countdown

Fennel cooked in fennel stock with fennel seeds.....I had concerns that this dish from Vegetable Literacy*, the book I've been cooking from this month, might be fennel overload but it wasn't, at all. The licorice flavour mellowed considerably with cooking and the saffron, thyme and tomato combined with it to create a delicious blend of flavours.
I served this in two ways suggested by the author Deborah Madison, as a side with grilled fish and with steamed black rice for a vegetarian main. Next time, I'll go a step further and make "Fennel al Forno", a baked gratin topped with bubbly, gooey cheese!

*The book is organized according to plant families within the plant kingdom; fennel, along with familiar ingredients like carrots, celery, parsnips, parsley root (which I once bought by mistake thinking they were parsnips!), coriander, parsley, dill, chervil, cumin, anise and asafetida are just a few that belong to the carrot family.

I'm linking this post to Cookbook Countdown hosted by Kitchen Flavours and Emily's Cooking (Makan2) Foray.

3 comments:

  1. I must try to cook with fennel again. I used it once in a salad but the family does not like it! I should try to use in roasted dish instead. Your fennel looks beautifully caramelized and very appetizing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My family prefers it cooked. It tastes more like celery but a bit sweeter.

      Delete
  2. I have never cooked with or simply cooked fennel. Interesting!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting. I'd love to hear from you.