Monday, August 29, 2016

Peaches in Lavender Syrup - Cookbook Countdown

Having purchased some culinary lavender to make a few recipes for a baking group I belong to, I'm always looking for new ways to use it up. I think I've found one that will take care of that: Lavender Syrup, a recipe from Vegetable Literacy by Deborah Madison, the book I've been cooking from this month.

Belonging to the Mint Family of the plant kingdom that includes a veritable cornucopia of fragrant and flavourful herbs, mint, basil, sage, marjoram, oregano, rosemary, savory and thyme among them, it was no surprise that this simple infusion of the dried flowers and sugar syrup was fabulous in mint tea.
It was equally delicious as a sweetener for fruit. I used peaches in the recipe for White Nectarines in Lavender Syrup and a few frozen raspberries that tinted the syrup a pretty pink with their juices. This was a really lovely way to serve summer fruit with the syrup enhancing their floral flavour.

It's the end of the month and I've run out of time but there are too many recipes I still want to make from this book to set it aside so I'll continue cooking from it next month for Cookbook Countdown.

I'm linking this post to Cookbook Countdown hosted by Kitchen Flavours and Emily's Cooking (Makan2) Foray.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Zosia,
    Such a pretty and lovely fruity dessert, with the floral flavour, sounds very nice!
    All the dishes you have made so far looks wonderful, I can see why you would want to try other recipes from this book! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting. I'd love to hear from you.