Monday, August 29, 2016

New Yorker Rye - Cookbook Countdown BAKE!

Everyone in my family loves rye bread but some aren't that fond of those made with sourdough starters so this recipe from the Hot Bread Kitchen Cookbook is perfect. It does call for a pâte fermentée starter that should be made the day before, but after that's rested the dough comes together quickly and easily.
I've made the recipe several times now and each time I've had to add extra water to make a pliable dough, probably because of the finely milled dark rye flour I've been using, and I knead it on a lower power level for a longer time per my stand mixer's instructions.

It comes out perfectly every time. It has a thin, crisp crust and a moist chewy crumb subtly flavoured with rye and caraway - no sour flavour here! - and is fantastic eaten freshly baked or toasted. The recipe is available here if you would like to try it yourself.

I'm linking this post to Cookbook Countdown BAKE! edition hosted by Kitchen Flavours and Emily's Cooking (Makan2) Foray. 

1 comment:

  1. This looks like another winner from this book. I'll be baking something from it too, very soon. Your bread looks wonderful. I agree with you that not everyone is crazy over the sour taste of sourdough, so this would be perfect indeed!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting. I'd love to hear from you.