Saturday, July 30, 2016

Sweet Corn Ice Cream with Butterscotch and Caramel Popcorn - Cookbook Countdown

I'm finishing this month's exploration of A Girl and Her Greens with a dessert and what could be better at this time of year than a bowl of cool, creamy ice cream? I've come across recipes for corn ice cream before and have always been intrigued by the idea of using this vegetable in a dessert.
Of course, once I tasted Sweet Corn Ice Cream with Butterscotch I could understand just how well it does work, adding it's sweet almost buttery flavour to the custard base. And the recipe makes sure you extract as much of its flavour as possible, collecting the juices from the niblets and steeping the cobs in the milk and cream.  

The ice cream is served with an easy-to-make butterscotch sauce and I decided to go all out and include the optional salty-sweet Caramel Popcorn with Nuts (page 246) topping. Thank goodness this recipe makes more than you need for the garnish because with all of the snacking going on, there wasn't much left!
This is a rather indulgent dessert, very sweet and rich and personally, I would have preferred a tart fruit topping with the ice cream for balance. I'm glad I finally tried it but I don't think I'll be making this ice cream again and though the butterscotch is good, it won't take the place of the family's favourite salted caramel. The caramel popcorn, however, is a definite keeper!

Now what book shall I cook from next month?
I'm linking this post with Cookbook Countdown hosted by Kitchen Flavours and Emily's Cooking (Makan2) Foray.

4 comments:

  1. Such a divine dessert! I love butterscotch sauce, but I don't mind eating the ice cream as as it is too!
    Looking forward to your next cookbook selection!
    (p/s : My copy THBKC has finally arrived! Big smile!!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you finally received the book Joyce. I hope you enjoy it.

      Delete
  2. What did you serve the ice cream in? An edible bowl?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I used a waffle bowl. I usually buy the cones but thought I'd try this shape. I think they're too large - the ice cream in the photo was dessert for 3 people!

      Delete

Thank you for visiting. I'd love to hear from you.