Wednesday, July 6, 2016

Bean and Mushroom Salad - Cookbook Countdown

I need to amend a comment I made in introducing A Girl and Her Greens, the book I'm cooking from this month for Cookbook Countdown. I referred to the varying degree of complexity or difficulty in making the recipes but I'm finding as I'm cooking that that really isn't the case at all. While it's true that some dishes take more time to complete than others, all are easy to execute. What I'm also noticing is that every part of a dish is given equal care and attention. If there's any complexity it's in the way the final flavour comes together.
For this Bean and Mushroom Salad, the parts were as follows:

  • Mushrooms that were first sautéed in batches then warmed through with cooked garlic and parsley and brightened with a bit of lemon juice.
  • Simple Beans and their garlicky liquor, a separate recipe made ahead, enriched with some sherry vinegar and cooked until glossy.
  • Sturdy greens dressed with olive oil and lemon juice.

This was a fantastic salad! I've made similar which were tasty but the treatment of the beans made a huge difference here. We made a meal of it with some Nan-E Barbari from Hot Bread Kitchen (posted on Cookbook Countdown "BAKE"!).

I'm linking this post to Cookbook Countdown hosted by Kitchen Flavours and Emily's Cooking (Makan2) Foray.

4 comments:

  1. Zosia, this is a wonderful dish to have in this very hot and humid days, I love beans and mushroom salad, what a great idea Zosia 😉😆

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a gorgeous and delicious looking salad! I love mushrooms, and with the beans and greens sounds really good. The Nan-E-Barbari looks fabulous! I'w waiting for my copy of Hot Bread Kitchen cookbook to arrive. Got to be very patient, takes about anytime from 2-4 weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great dish to enjoy on a hectic weekday!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting. I'd love to hear from you.