Wednesday, June 1, 2016

Wheat Germ Banana Muffins - Cookbook Countdown

This month, I've chosen a long-ignored baking book to explore for Cookbook Countdown, hosted by food bloggers Emily and Joyce. Muffins were the first things I learned to bake from scratch and I always appreciated that I could get a fix for my sweet tooth with something that was relatively healthy and easy. 500 Best Muffin Recipes seemed like a great resource for those lower sugar and fat treats I enjoyed at a time when muffins were becoming more cake and dessert-like. But I was overwhelmed by the selection so it was set aside until now.
Every chapter has its own index so I'll rely on those to help me navigate the book; my plan is to try one recipe from each but we'll see how that goes. I have a feeling I can bake more muffins in a month than we can possibly eat ...time to make space in the freezer!

From the "Fruit & Vegetable Muffin" chapter, I made Wheat Germ Banana Muffins. These not only included wheat germ, but some bran as well. They were moist and had great banana flavour. I omitted the raisins and increased the walnuts in the recipe for a nice, toasty crunch. This recipe's a keeper.
Wheat Germ Banana Muffins
makes 12
adapted from 500 Best Muffin Recipes 

*Ingredients:
150g all-purpose flour
25g wheat bran
30g wheat germ
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp fine sea salt
260g (weight without peel) ripe bananas (approx 3 medium)
115g neutral vegetable oil
100g brown sugar
1 egg
120g buttermilk
60g chopped walnuts, toasted

Method: 
Preheat oven to 190C/375F. Grease a regular 12-cup muffin tin or line with paper muffin cups.

Into a large bowl, measure the flour, wheat bran, wheat germ, baking powder, baking soda, and salt and stir to combine.

In a small bowl, mash the bananas well. Whisk in the oil, brown sugar, egg, and buttermilk. 

Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients. Pour the wet ingredients into the well and stir until the two are almost combined with some pockets of dry mixture still visible. Add the nuts and fold a few times until the dry ingredients are just incorporated and the nuts are evenly distributed. Do not over mix. The batter should still be lumpy.

Spoon batter into the prepared muffin tin filling it to the top. Bake 20-25 minutes on the middle rack of the oven until tops are golden and the centre springs back when pressed lightly with a finger.

Cool 5 minutes in the pan before removing.

* I converted the book's American volume measurements to gram weights using King Arthur Flour's ingredient weight chart.


I'm linking this post to Cookbook Countdown hosted by Kitchen Flavours and Emily's Cooking (Makan2) Foray. I'm looking forward to seeing the other books chosen this month.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Zosia,
    I was thinking of getting this book last time, but got another one 750 Best Muffins Recipes instead, which is quite a good book too. Your muffins looks wonderful! Moist and healthy, makes a perfect snack for anytime of the day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your muffin. It is indeed a perfect snack for anytime of the day!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting. I'd love to hear from you.