Monday, June 20, 2016

Strawberry Shortcake Ice Cream Sandwiches - IHCC Fresh & Fruity

There's nothing fresher right now than locally grown strawberries and though I like them best as is, pairing them with something creamy and vanilla can also be very nice. Curtis Stone, our featured chef at I Heart Cooking Clubs, had the perfect recipe for them: Strawberry Shortcake Ice Cream Sandwiches. The recipe wasn't difficult but it did involve a little bit of (almost) jam-making, some baking, and time to allow for chilling and freezing.
The first step was to create the strawberry ripple ice cream filling and while this involved cooking the strawberries down with some sugar and lemon juice, Curtis has you fold the mixture into store-bought vanilla ice cream, a major time saver. 

Next came the cookies which reminded me of snickerdoodles without the cinnamon. They had crackly tops, crisp edges and chewy centres. I added a little vanilla because I think vanilla makes all baked goods taste better.

The final step was filling them. Either I was too generous or I made a mistake measuring the vanilla ice cream, but I had only enough for 5 sandwiches
These were sooo good. I loved the high ratio of fruit to ice cream which created more of a strata than a ripple and the berry flavour was very bright and fresh. Not all cookies work well frozen, but these ones did, taking only a few minutes to soften out of the freezer. These were a delicious summer treat.

7 comments:

  1. What a lovely dessert on a hot summer day? It's combining the best in ice cream and a cookie. Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't think it was possible to beat traditional strawberry shortcake, this definitely does! I love this, and especially love that it uses store-bought ice cream to make things easier and quicker:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. These little treats sound fabulous. I am craving one right this minute. This goes to show that generosity is a good thing when measuring out a yummy filling.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They are so pink and pretty--great for a summer party. I love how much fruit is in them too, it makes them downright irresistible. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. They look like they are ready to party! So pretty. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pretty in pink ;-). This is a very nice recipe to enjoy in summer.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting. I'd love to hear from you.