Monday, June 27, 2016

Red Snapper with Harissa & Rose and Saffron Rice with Pistachios & Mixed Herbs - IHCC Potluck

One thing I enjoy about being a participant in I Heart Cooking Clubs - and there are many - is being inspired by other members' posts to try a new recipe. Such is the case with my potluck dish from Yotam Ottolenghi, Pan-Fried Sea Bream with Harissa & Rose from the book Jerusalem. Diane of Café Mom Cooks featured it on her blog in May as a dish her husband made her for Mother's Day. 
The recipe wasn't particularly difficult but the results were spectacular. It started with pan-frying harissa-marinated fish which was then set aside while the sauce cooked. Now this second component was a little more elaborate with ingredients incorporated at various stages adding depth and complexity to it. To describe the final flavour as sweet and tangy with a bit of heat doesn't begin to do it justice. It went beautifully with the fish without overwhelming it and the floral flavour from the rose water and dried rose petals was subtle.
The author suggests plain rice as a side but I had some dill and parsley to use up so turned to a recipe from the same book that I've made several times, Saffron Rice with Barberries, Pistachios and Mixed Herbs. I omitted the barberries this time so they wouldn't compete with the fish dish and without them the rice was a flavourful but neutral side.
I will definitely make this again. Family enjoyed it and it would be an excellent dish for entertaining since so much of the work can be done in advance.

Visit IHCC to see what everyone has made this week...I may be inspired to make it soon myself!

9 comments:

  1. Glad to hear it ain't labor intensive, this would be a great one for week nights. Love the playing, it's gorgeous !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your photos make it look so inviting that I want to give it a try. Beautiful presentation Zosia with the flavorful rice and asparagus.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I should cook more Ottolenghi recipes. This sounds and looks gorgeous

    ReplyDelete
  4. This recipe is the definition of inspiring. So very beautiful. Makes me happy just to look at it. I can imagine the first bite right now:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. So so beautiful, just like how Ottolenghi's recipes always are!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't worked with harissa yet. I'm not sure why not because I love the flavors of that region. Everything about your meal is appealing. The rice looks wonderful, too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love all of the color and flavors that you have on the plate here Zosia. Everything about this dinner calls to me! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Goodness, what a beautiful, gorgeous meal! And looks so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Harissa and rose, such great combination of ingredients making this a colorful, flavorful dish and very appealing dish. The rice side looks so summery and delightful with all the herbs.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting. I'd love to hear from you.