Thursday, June 16, 2016

Maple Pecan Muffins - Cookbook Countdown

I'm in muffin baking mode this month in an attempt to finally use some of my neglected cookbooks. 500 Best Muffin Recipes by Esther Brody, the book I'm focusing on, has a huge selection of recipes and this week I've chosen Maple Pecan Muffins from the "Low-Fat Muffins" chapter.

Most of the recipes in this book follow the standard muffin mixing technique of mixing dry and wet ingredients separately then combining them to create the batter. This recipe has the additional step of whipping egg whites and folding them in at the end. These muffins ended up being more like mini chiffon cakes, moist and super light and airy, and of course with the maple-pecan pairing had great flavour

But I must admit that I made a big mistake when I made them. The recipe called for 2 egg yolks and 4 egg whites. When I was cleaning up, I couldn't find the 2 extra yolks I'd set aside. I realized I'd added them to the batter! Have you ever done that? The muffins seemed to turn out well regardless so I've written the recipe as I made them.
Maple Pecan Muffins
makes 12
adapted from 500 Best Muffin Recipes by Esther Brody

*Ingredients:
120g all-purpose flour
60g whole wheat flour
1 tsp baking powder 
1/4 tsp fine sea salt
4 eggs at room temperature, separated
120g low-fat milk
80g maple syrup
30g vegetable oil
1/4 tsp pure maple extract (optional)
40g sugar
60g chopped toasted pecans  

Method: 
Preheat oven to 190C/375F. Grease a regular 12-cup muffin tin or line with paper muffin cups.

Into a large bowl, measure the flours, baking powder, and salt and stir to combine.

In a medium bowl, whisk together the egg yolks, milk, maple syrup, vegetable oil, and maple extract, if using, until well combined and creamy.

In another bowl, beat the egg whites on high speed until soft peaks form. Slowly add the sugar and continue beating until the whites are glossy and stiff peaks form.

Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients. Pour the milk mixture into the well and stir until the dry ingredients are just incorporated. Gently fold in the pecans and egg whites.

Scoop the batter into the prepared muffin tin filling them close to the top. Bake 15-20 minutes on the middle rack of the oven until the centre springs back when pressed lightly with a finger and a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean. 

Cool 5 minutes in the pan before removing.

* I converted the book's American volume measurements to gram weights using King Arthur Flour's ingredient weight chart.
I'm linking this post to Cookbook Countdown hosted by Kitchen Flavours and Emily's Cooking (Makan2) Foray

2 comments:

  1. Hi Zosia,
    I have missed out on ingredients and never add them in until I did the cleaning up, and found it hidden somewhere, but not the other way round! :) Glad to know that your muffins turns out great with the additional yolks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Zosia, these maple pecan muffins sound great and are simply delicious. and thank you for sharing the recipe.😎 P.S stop by when you have a moment
    Thank you😉

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting. I'd love to hear from you.