Tuesday, June 7, 2016

Lemon Raspberry Muffins - Cookbook Countdown

This month for Cookbook Countdown, I'm baking up a storm with recipes from my rarely used book 500 Best Muffin Recipes by Esther Brody. I love lemony baked goods so I had to try the Lemon Yogurt Cranberry Muffins from the "Wholesome Healthy Muffins" chapter. 

I made a few adjustments to the recipe. Since I had neither lemon flavoured yogurt nor lemon extract, I used 1% fat plain yogurt and lemon oil in their place. I also used fresh raspberries instead of frozen cranberries for a more summery feel and reduced the amount of honey in the recipe. 

These were moist and lemony, with a fine cake-like crumb. I loved the tartness from the raspberries but I think I would add a few more next time. They would also be nice with a lemony glaze made from the juice of the lemon whisked with a few spoons of confectioners' sugar.
Lemon Raspberry Muffins
makes 16 regular or 32 mini
adapted from 500 Best Muffin Recipes by Esther Brody

*Ingredients:
180g all-purpose flour
90g whole wheat flour
2-1/2 tsp baking powder 
1/4 tsp fine sea salt
4 eggs
150g honey
65g vegetable oil
1/4 tsp lemon oil or 1-1/2 tsp lemon extract
240g plain yogurt
grated zest of 1 lemon
150g raspberries (I used 125g but would have liked more)

Method: 
Preheat oven to 200C/400F. Prepare the muffin tins by greasing them or lining them with paper muffin cups.

Into a large bowl, measure the flours, baking powder, and salt and stir to combine.

In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs, honey, vegetable oil, lemon oil, yogurt, and lemon zest together.

Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients. Pour the wet ingredients into the well and stir until the dry ingredients are just incorporated. Gently fold in the raspberries. Do not over mix.  

Scoop the batter into the prepared muffin tins filling them close to the top. Bake 15-20 minutes for regular muffins, 7-10 minutes for minis, on the middle rack of the oven until the centre springs back when pressed lightly with a finger and a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean.

Cool 5 minutes in the pan before removing.

* I converted the book's American volume measurements to gram weights using King Arthur Flour's ingredient weight chart.
I'm linking this post to Cookbook Countdown hosted by Kitchen Flavours and Emily's Cooking (Makan2) Foray

3 comments:

  1. I love the part that says 'makes 16 regular or 32 mini' - I love mini versions of baked desserts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Zosia,
    These muffins are perfect for tea time snack or anytime in between! So jealous of the fresh raspberries!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These little muffins are so cute!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting. I'd love to hear from you.