Tuesday, June 28, 2016

Island Fruit Muffins - Cookbook Countdown

Thanks to talented cooks and food bloggers Emily and Joyce, creators of Cookbook Countdown, I've been motivated to dust off some older cookbooks and actually cook from them. This past month I've been baking muffins from 500 Best Muffin Recipes by Esther Brody and after tackling 6 recipes, the family is still not tired of them - a very good sign, I think.

My final recipe was Island Fruit Muffins from the "Special Occasion Muffins" chapter. To me, this wasn't a special occasion muffin but it was one of the best bran muffins I've ever had! With all the fruit and coconut going on, you barely noticed the bran except for the nutty flavour it brought to the muffin. I replaced the raisins with fresh mango but I think my next rendition will be with pineapple. Try them and enjoy!
 Island Fruit Muffins
makes 20 regular
adapted from 500 Best Muffin Recipes by Esther Brody

*Ingredients:
145g wheat bran
80g all-purpose flour
80g whole wheat flour
1 tsp baking powder 
2-1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp fine sea salt
2 eggs
170g honey
100g vegetable oil
300g buttermilk
260g mashed bananas (about 3 medium)
125g shredded sweetened coconut
200g diced mango (I used 2 Ataulfo)

Method: 
Preheat oven to 190C/375F. Prepare the muffin tins by greasing them or lining them with paper muffin cups.

Into a large bowl, measure the bran, flours, baking powder, baking soda and salt and stir to combine.

In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs, honey, vegetable oil, buttermilk, mashed bananas, and coconut together.

Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients. Pour the wet ingredients into the well and stir until the dry ingredients are just incorporated. Gently fold in the diced mango. Do not over mix.  

Scoop the batter into the prepared muffin tins filling them 3/4 full. Bake 20-25 minutes on the middle rack of the oven until the centre springs back when pressed lightly with a finger and a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean.

Cool 5 minutes in the pan before removing.

* I converted the book's American volume measurements to gram weights using King Arthur Flour's ingredient weight chart.

Though the book has a few issues - recipe yield isn't provided and the conversion of American volume measurements to metric volume measurements is often inaccurate and inconsistent (I ignored them) - I really enjoyed baking from it this month and I'll be looking to it often when the mood to bake something quick and easy strikes.

I'll be cooking lots of vegetables with next month's book choice, making use of the abundance of local produce at the farmers' markets .

I'm linking this post to Cookbook Countdown hosted by Kitchen Flavours and Emily's Cooking (Makan2) Foray

1 comment:

  1. Hi Zosia,
    Lovely muffins! I like the name of these muffins! And sub with mangoes is a great idea, a wonderful tropical feel to it! Thank you for sharing your muffins goodies! Looking forward to your veggies this month. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting. I'd love to hear from you.