Wednesday, May 11, 2016

Tupperware Mexican Chorizo - Cookbook Countdown

If there's one thing my family enjoys almost as much as chicken, it's a tasty meatball. The enticing photo of meatballs browning in a pan in Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall's book River Cottage Everyday, the book I'm cooking from this month for Cookbook Countdown, drew me to this recipe only to discover that it's actually for a homemade sausage mix flavoured like Mexican chorizo with meatballs a suggested end use.
I went ahead and made it, a blend of ground pork, sweet and hot smoked paparikas, cayenne pepper, garlic, fennel, salt, pepper and a bit of red wine. After a 24 hour rest in the fridge that allowed it to cure, it was ready to use. I was impressed with the results: well-seasoned, spicy and smoky. The author suggests some ways to use it... 

....in meatballs:
Of course I had to make meatballs! 650g of the sausage mix, 3 eggs and 3 tbsp dried breadcrumbs, a stint under the broiler to brown and a slow simmer in some homemade marinara and they were ready to enjoy with pasta.

....as a salad topping:
I fried up the remainder and sprinkled it on the Seedy Spinach Salad adding some salty, spicy goodness to simply dressed spinach leaves tossed with an assortment of toasted seeds, a salad that's delicious with or without the chorizo. 

The recipes for Tupperware Mexican Chorizo and Seedy Spinach Salad are two that I will definitely be repeating. They can be found here and here respectively.
I'm linking this post to Cookbook Countdown hosted by Kitchen Flavours and Emily's Cooking (Makan2) Foray.      

2 comments:

  1. I've seen his homemade chorizo recipe which I have been wanting to make for ages. Your meatballs looks delicious! Meatballs and pasta can never go wrong! And the spinach salad looks so fresh and makes a wonderful sides to any meal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do not get the word 'Tupperware' in this recipe. But it sure look delicious!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting. I'd love to hear from you.