Wednesday, May 25, 2016

Tomatillo Chicken and Spinach Tacos - IHCC Potluck

It's potluck week at I Heart Cooking Clubs which means we can cook with any of the featured chefs, past or present. I had a craving for Mexican food and made a fun family dish from Rick Bayless, Tacos of Tomatillo Chicken with Wilted Greens and Fresh Cheese from his book Rick Bayless's Mexican Kitchen. Many of the recipes in this book rely on an "essential" sauce or salsa as their flavour base; this one starts with the Essential Simmered Tomatillo-Serrano Sauce. It's one of my favourites so I make it in bulk and freeze it.
With some of my freezer stash of sauce and boneless chicken breasts that poached in the time it took to prepare the rest of the ingredients, this was a breeze to put together. It was just a matter of combining the cooked chicken with the sauce, adding spinach strips (which wilted down to practically nothing so I stuffed each taco with extra raw spinach as I filled them!) and warming the tortillas. 

Tomatillos have such a sprightly flavour, they enliven whatever dish they're used in. The sauce captures and retains their essence so with moist chicken and lots of greens, this was light and bright. Loved it!

Visit here to see what everyone else brought to the IHCC potluck.

10 comments:

  1. Yumm, I once tried canned tomatiloes, never had fresh ones

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to give a tomatillo serrano sauce a try, such a flavorful sauce to spice up anything. Exceptional!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a ton of raw spinach in the fridge, this looks like a fantastic way to use it. Seems these days I am loving tacos and quesadillas, hand held foods. Wonderful post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A lovely meal of tacos! And the Tomatillo-Serrano sauce sounds delish!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have to try these,they look great for the summer especially when it's so hot and humid this is all you would like to eat very late food great job Zosia. 😡

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a light and fresh Mexican dish that would hands down satisfy any Mexican cravings, while not weighing you down in the summer. I love this!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks like a lovely fresh meal. It helps when you can have things in the freezer to help with a speedy meal.

    ReplyDelete
  8. These tacos look so pretty on the plate--fresh and delicious. You have me craving some Rick Bayless Mexican fare too! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I never had the opportunity to try tomatillos :-( Those tacos looks so fresh and tasty

    ReplyDelete
  10. These look so good. I have never had any of Rick's dishes. I need to try some.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting. I'd love to hear from you.