Monday, May 2, 2016

Strawberry-Hibiscus Punch - Wet Your Whistle IHCC

Hibiscus sabdariffa, aka Jamaica flowers, sorrel, roselle, bissap..... is known for its fruity, tangy brightness and the gorgeous ruby colour it adds to food. It went perfectly with strawberries in a punch I made this week for I Heart Cooking Clubs' theme "Wet your whistle" with featured chef Curtis Stone.
It was incredibly easy to put together: you just had to steep the dried hibiscus flowers with strawberries (I used frozen) and ginger in a sugar syrup for a few hours, strain, add extra water and serve over ice. I used a bit less sugar (150g) than the recipe called for but it was still a little sweet so I added the juice of a lemon as well.
The flavour was as gorgeous as its colour, tart and sweet, with a little heat from the ginger. And so refreshing...it will be an excellent cooler in the warmer months.

The recipe can be found here. Visit here to see the other drinks on offer at I Heart Cooking Clubs.

12 comments:

  1. I had that Roselle hibiscus plant in my garden for years and lost it somehow, then just recently bought a new one. Also made a tea with it Sat. for my women's group. So refreshing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never had anything like this. It looks really good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have some hibiscus hidden away and forgotten. Thanks for highlighting how well it works with strawberry. Your punch is so delightful and eye-catching!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This punch looks gorgeously pretty and refreshing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really wanted to make this one but didn't get to the Latin market in town for more dried hibiscus. So pretty and I love the pairing with the strawberries and ginger. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That sounds fantastic! I've had hibiscus flowers in syrup in a champagne cocktail before, but I've never made anything with them myself.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a gorgeous drink! I really wanted to make this recipe but couldn't source the hibiscus in time for this week's theme. I bet it was delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks delicious, I think this depends on the quality of the ingredients

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a gorgeous beautiful drink! I could have this everyday!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have not had hibiscus yet. I am glad that it tastes as good as it looks.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm glad you enjoyed this one as much as I did. The colour is so lovely. I used frozen strawberries too, as the season has now passed here, but I can see myself making this regularly when summer rolls around again.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm glad you enjoyed this one as much as I did. Isn't the colour gorgeous?! I used frozen strawberries too, as the season has passed here now, but I can see myself making this often when summer rolls around again.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting. I'd love to hear from you.