Saturday, May 21, 2016

No-Knead Brioche - Avid Baker's Challenge

It's been a while since I've participated in the ABC baking group but when I saw this month's challenge, I couldn't resist. I've made no-knead breads before but always with lean doughs consisting only of flour, water, yeast and salt. Would the method work with a dough enriched with all of that butter, sugar and egg? I was especially intrigued since I recently made a traditional brioche for a Tarte Tropézienne using a method that involved upwards of 20 minutes hard labour by my stand mixer.
This dough took only a few minutes to make, used only a whisk, and relied on the stretch and fold technique and time to develop the gluten. The recipe is from Weekend Bakery and can be found here. The site has very good photos and an even better video that shows the process clearly. I shaped the dough after 36 hours of refrigeration.
And 3 hours after that, it was ready for baking. I gave it an egg wash for a little sheen. After the allotted baking time, it looked done but needed an extra 10 minutes to reach an internal temperature of 88°C/190°F.
The loaf had an open, porous texture, much like that of highly hydrated bread (70% or more water relative to the weight of the flour) instead of the closer, more finely wrought crumb that's typical. Of course, if you take into account the water in the eggs, butter and honey in this recipe, that's exactly what this bread was.
But the texture and flavour were all brioche......airy, tender, rich and buttery. I'll definitely be making this again.

5 comments:

  1. Wow! Great results. Love that open crumb. Great job!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hanaâ. I was quite skeptical about this method but pleased with the results in the end.

      Delete
  2. Wow! Zosia,your Brioche loaf looks very good and I sure it's absolutely delicious, I love Brioche loaf , it's very light and also great for French Toast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rosa. It disappeared too quickly to have leftovers for French toast! I'll have to make a double batch next time.

      Delete
  3. You got amazing results! Love the light airy crumb!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting. I'd love to hear from you.