Monday, May 30, 2016

Lemony Roasted Shrimp and Fiddleheads - IHCC Local & Seasonal

It's fiddlehead season here in southern Ontario so for our "Local & Seasonal" theme at I Heart Cooking Clubs, I knew exactly what I was cooking with. I was just as certain Australian featured chef Curtis Stone wouldn't have a recipe that used them but they're an excellent substitute for asparagus so I adapted Oven-Roasted Shrimp and Asparagus with Lemon-Shallot Vinaigrette, switching out the asparagus for my little furled ostrich fern fronds.
Unlike asparagus which can be eaten raw, fiddleheads must be thoroughly cooked - steaming them for 10 minutes usually does it. I wasn't sure how that translated to roasting so to be safe, I steamed them for 5 minutes. After that, I followed the recipe as written.

And what a recipe....so easy, yet with such fantastic results. Both the shrimp and fiddleheads were tossed with olive oil, salt and pepper then blasted in a super hot oven for just a few minutes. A drizzle of a lemony shallot vinaigrette was the finishing touch.
Roasting brought out the sweetness of the shrimp and enhanced the delicate grassy flavour of the fiddleheads. Delicious! This was quick enough to prepare on a busy weeknight for family but I would not hesitate to serve it to guests.

The recipe can be found here if you'd like to try it. Visit here to see what other seasonal goodies IHCC members cooked up this week.

10 comments:

  1. I think I like the fiddleheads more than asparagus. This dish is more than delicious. It is unusually interesting looking with all the tight curls. A beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The fiddleheads certainly are pretty! I've never had the pleasure of trying them before, but I sure would love to (especially with this preparation).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never tried them but they look like they compliment the shrimp. Love shrimp!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love shrimp and asparagus, but have never had fiddleheads. I don't remember ever seeing them anywhere either.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So elegant, as well as delicious. I love cooking with our fiddleheads, but have yet to pair them with shrimp.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have never had fiddle heads, dont get them over here:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have only cooked with fiddleheads a couple of times--when I can find them looking good and fresh. This recipe looks wonderful with the lemon and shrimp and it looks so pretty on the plate too! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, I love those fiddleheads! I'm surprised to see them available in Canada. Those in Malaysia are smaller and we love to cook them with sambal belacan and lots of chilies. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a delicious way of cooking fiddleheads! And they look really cute! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh yes, local and seasonal surf and turf! No fiddleheads in Northern Germany ;-). Hard enough to find local green asparagus

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting. I'd love to hear from you.