Tuesday, May 24, 2016

Herby BBQ Chicken with Tabula Kisir - Cookbook Countdown

It's been sunny and warm these last few days - perfect grilling weather and time to try out a new recipe, My Herby Barbecued Chicken from Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall's book River Cottage Everyday, the book I'm cooking from this month for Cookbook Countdown

This recipe was all about the marinade. With a base of lemon juice, olive oil, lemon zest, garlic and mustard, you knew to expect great flavour. Add to that some fresh chopped herbs of your choice and it became a flavour explosion. Parsley and dill was what I had on hand and since I was using boneless, skinless chicken breasts I marinated them overnight to allow the flavours to penetrate and the acid of the lemon juice to work its tenderizing magic.
The chicken was tender and juicy, had a great crust (even without the skin!) and tasted fantastic. Some steamed Chinese long beans and a make-ahead grain salad rounded out the meal.
The Tabula Kisir, a cousin of tabbouleh made with steamed bulgur, tomatoes, toasted walnuts, bell peppers, fresh herbs and a spicy dressing was so good, I could have eaten it as a meal. So that's what I did the next day with a bit of leftover chicken:
And if there's one thing I've learned from this author having cooked quite a bit from his book River Cottage Veg, it's that a quick and delicious meal or snack is to be had simply by popping a toasted slice of good bread* topped with leftovers - more of that BBQ chicken, broccoli and Gruyère - under the broiler. 

My Herby BBQ Chicken & Broccoli Toastie:
* That's a slice of New Yorker Rye from one of my newest cookbooks, The Hot Bread Kitchen Cookbook - I just can't stop buying them!

I'm linking this post to Cookbook Countdown hosted by Kitchen Flavours and Emily's Cooking (Makan2) Foray. Do stop by to see what everyone else is cooking this month.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Zosia,
    That's a beautiful delicious platter of chicken and greens! Your tabbouleh looks good! I like how you used your leftover chicken on that rye toast with broccoli and cheese! I could eat this as my lunch!
    You have The Hotbread Kitchen cookbook? I am getting it soon too! I can't help adding on more books too, even though I tell myself to stop! I've bought Secrets of A Jewish Baker and One Dough Ten Breads last month. The Hotbread Kitchen is next!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting. I'd love to hear from you.