Thursday, May 19, 2016

Baked Fish and Fennel with Carrot-Orange Salad - Cookbook Countdown

This month I'm cooking from the book River Cottage Everyday by Hugh-Fearnley Whittingstall for Cookbook Countdown hosted by food bloggers Emily and Joyce. Having cooked extensively from River Cottage Veg, another of this author's books, I've come to expect certain things from his recipes: simplicity, enough of a twist to set it apart from similar recipes, great flavour.
Foil-Baked Fish Fillets with Fennel, Ginger and Chilli and Carrot, Orange and Chervil Salad didn't let me down.
For the first recipe, grouper fillets were baked in a foil package perched atop a bed of sautéed fennel. I'd never cooked fennel, the vegetable, with Asian flavours before but the garlic, ginger, chiles and soy sauce went beautifully with it and together with the fish juices formed a delicious sauce that was a little sweet, a little salty and thanks to the Thai bird chiles I used, a little spicy. I included snow peas in the packages and served everything over cellophane noodles.
The fish dish brought the heat to this meal so I cooled things down with this refreshing salad. I took a few liberties with the recipe and dressed the prepared oranges and carrots with lime instead of lemon juice and used coriander instead of chervil. Hugh has a way with salads and this one was no exception....so good.
I'm linking this post to Cookbook Countdown hosted by Kitchen Flavours and Emily's Cooking (Makan2) Foray. Make sure to visit to see what everyone else is cooking this month.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Zosia,
    Wow, that is one gorgeous meal! Both the fish and salad looks divine! I'm looking forward to try some recipes from this book myself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI Zosia, this is the perfect meal for me, exactly how I like my fish prepared and the salad is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the color of your salad; and the mix and match flavors of east n west in the fish dish!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting. I'd love to hear from you.