Monday, April 18, 2016

White Pizza with Mustard Greens - IHCC Something to Eat on the Sofa

I Heart Cooking Clubs is cooking with Australian chef Curtis Stone for the next 6 months and for this week's theme of food we enjoy eating while lounging about, I made a pizza that featured a new-to-me vegetable: mustard greens. These are widely available here and I'm not sure why I consistently bypass the pretty, frilly bunches in favour of kale, chard and spinach but this time, I didn't.
I loved them! I'm not sure if you're supposed to eat them raw, but I really enjoyed their peppery bite. Cooked, they were more bitter than peppery in a good way - at least that was my experience. Some of the other pizza components helped to tame that bitterness: a rich white sauce of cream and ricotta, mozzarella cheese and sweet sautéed shallots.
With Rose Levy Beranbaum's Perfect Pizza crust (a no-knead but same day dough from The Bread Bible) as its base, this pizza was a delicious departure from my usual. If you would like to try it yourself, the recipe can be found here

11 comments:

  1. I am amazed at your pizza ,it looks really sounds delicious , I have to try this one out and it looks pretty good ,actually it makes me want to make pizza great work Zosia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. P.S. stop by and check out my new post...

      Delete
  2. So many special ingredients: white sauce, bitter greens and crusty dough, making this wonderful pizza to enjoy on the couch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would never have thought about using greens in a pizza but it certainly works. Love the texture of the crust. Just the perfect amount of dough.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks delicious but I would have to leave off the mushrooms for my family (I love them). I will also have to check out the bread bible as we do like to make our own bread.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your pizza looks so delicious! A wonderful idea of using mustard greens! I love the bitter taste of the mustard greens, and would never of thought of using it as a filling for pizza!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Never ever pizza on the couch ;-), pizza had to be eaten in front of the computer monitor during a WLAN-Party. By all means, the pizza looks delicious

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, I think pizza is the ultimate sofa snack. I am always drawn to pizzas with a white sauce such as this one. I love the creaminess of it and think the white sauce allows the toppings to shine a bit more. Looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love bitter greens with creamy white sauce on pizza so this one is right up my alley. I don't use mustard greens near enough--you make me want to change that! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love love love everything on this pizza!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mustard greens are a staple of Southern cooking. Hubs loves them, me not so much, but that pizza does look tasty.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting. I'd love to hear from you.