Friday, April 15, 2016

Garlic Chicken with Zucchini Sauté - Cookbook Countdown

Food of Spain by Claudia Roden is the book I'm cooking from this month for Cookbook Countdown, an opportunity to use cookbooks that have sat on my shelf for far too long without being used.
For a recent family dinner I made Garlic Chicken, a simple dish of chicken braised with many, many cloves of garlic. The ingredient list was short and the method wasn't very involved - apart from peeling all of that garlic...next time I'll cheat and buy pre-peeled cloves! - but the end result was amazingly good. The chicken was moist and tender and the sauce, chicken broth spiked with dry Spanish sherry, was phenomenal: a little sweet and nutty and laced with mellow garlic.
Zucchini with Onions and Oregano, a slow cooked sauté, was another recipe from the book that I served as one of the sides. The cooking method really brought out the subtle flavour of the zucchini and the sweetness of the onion and the texture was soft and silky....a little too soft for me since my preference leans towards raw or tender-crisp vegetables. It was tasty but I don't think I'll make this again. The chicken, on the other hand, is worth repeating many times.
I'm linking this post to Cookbook Countdown hosted by Kitchen Flavours and Emily's Cooking (Makan2) Foray

4 comments:

  1. Looks delish, love the mash (don't really like zucchini that much). BTW how many cloves of garlic did you have to peel and use (for you to complain!). :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 2 heads of garlic...I stopped counting after 30 cloves!

      Delete
  2. The chicken looks delicious! With the amount of garlic, I can almost smell the aroma! And the zucchini saute looks really good, even though the soft texture is not to your preference. Lovely meal!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the flavor garlic adds to anything. I'm with you on th zucchini. Maybe cook it less?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting. I'd love to hear from you.