Monday, April 4, 2016

Couscous Fritters with Shaved Spring Salad - IHCC G'day Curtis!

This week, I Heart Cooking Clubs welcomes chef Curtis Stone as featured chef for the next six months. His philosophy of "keep it simple and cook with naturally produced ingredients just as Mother Nature intended" is one that appeals to me and his recipes have a relaxed feel to them, perfect for the warmer months ahead.
To welcome him, I put together a little starter of Couscous Fritters with Shaved Asparagus and Carrot Salad. I made a few changes and used whole wheat couscous steamed in vegetable stock instead of water for extra flavour and made the fritters starter-sized instead of entrée-sized for a yield of 12. I don't care much for creamy salad dressings but I loved the idea of a lemony dill and yogurt dipping sauce, so I made a half recipe and dressed the vegetables with a bit of lemon juice and olive oil.
Filled with feta and spring onions, the fritters had amazing flavour and great texture with their crunchy crust; the crisp fresh vegetable salad was a great foil for them. Curtis and I are off to a delicious start!

Visit here to see the other welcoming dishes.

12 comments:

  1. Looks wonderfully healthy and light!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like that, keep it simple philosophy. If I bring my risotto over we could share a great meal. Love those fritters!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like light and simple. This looks really good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Like you, I am all for keeping things simple! Love that you used the whole wheat couscous. This is definitely a recipe where you can use whole wheat without anyone even noticing. I made a couscous fritter when we cooked with Ottolenghi and fell in love with them. These look delicious, especially paired with the shaved salad that screams spring.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with you that I like his cooking style. My first recipe was also a hit. This looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. All the wonderful pieces: the yogurt sauce, the couscous, the spring onion, the shaved vegetables make the whole even better than its parts.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a beautifully simple plate of food! Healthy, colorful, and that sauce is worth saving for other applications too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mmmmmmmm, couscous fritters. Who'd a though? They look very delicious and perfect for spring.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a pretty plate with the color from the shaved veggie salad and the crisp little cakes. I love any kind of fritter and these look really good. Great pick! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love that shade of golden brown on your fritters. My toddler will love them!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've tons of couscous in my pantry. Like Deb I am a huge fan of fritters

    ReplyDelete
  12. The fritters looks really good! The asparagus and carrot salad looks lovely! I love how you plated this dish!
    So glad to see you again at IHCC! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting. I'd love to hear from you.