Thursday, March 10, 2016

Sole with Fennel and Orange, and Spinach with Breadcrumbs - Cookbook Countdown

There's nothing like a bit of citrus to brighten up a meal on a dreary winter day. Sea Bass with Fennel and Orange, a simple recipe for pan-fried fish served with a reduction of chicken broth and orange juice, softened slivers of fennel, chopped tomatoes and orange segments was light and bright and did just that. I substituted my family's favourite fish for the sea bass in the recipe, but I think that the sauce, the highlight of this dish, would be wonderful with most white fish.
I wanted an equally simple side dish to complete this easy weeknight meal. I had some Portuguese corn bread in need of repurposing and Spinach with Toasted Bread Crumbs provided the perfect end use for it. Crumbled, dry toasted, then crisped in olive oil, it added a delicious twist to an old standby of garlicky sautéed greens (and the nutmeg was a nice touch too).
Both of these terrific recipes are from the book The New Portuguese Table by David Leite, a cookbook I've owned but neglected for some time and have chosen to cook from this month.

I'm linking this post to Cookbook Countdown hosted by Kitchen Flavours and Emily's Cooking (Makan2) Foray.   

2 comments:

  1. Awesome pairing of dishes, delightful to the eye and definitely to the taste buds!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, both dishes look delicious! The fish with fennel and orange looks stunning!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting. I'd love to hear from you.