Sunday, March 20, 2016

Rice From the Pan - Cookbook Countdown

If you're ever at a loss as to what to do with leftover cooked rice as I often am, Arroz da Panela, a recipe from The New Portuguese Table, is something you must try. Even more than the perfect pot of rice it produced, I loved the story and tradition of enriching it daily with the previous days leftovers, building flavour and never serving the same dish twice.

Day 1:
The base recipe was quite flavourful on its own with every grain infused with onion, garlic, bay leaf, tomato, smoky Spanish chorizo and chicken stock. A vegetarian version I made with vegetable stock and a little smoked paprika to replace the chorizo was just as good.

Day 2:
With over half the rice gone, I added what remained of the Black-Eyed Peas with Onions and Red Pepper. Both the rice and the pea dishes were very good but, cliché though it is, the combination was much more than the mere sum of its parts. This was my favourite.

Day 3:
There wasn't much left of the rice and peas, just enough for a tasty lunch for one with the last of the Quick Weekday Roast Chicken with Potatoes and Seared Broccoli Rabe with Garlic added.

All of these recipes are from David Leite's The New Portuguese Table, the cookbook I've spent a little time exploring this month for Cookbook Countdown. 
I'm linking this post to Cookbook Countdown hosted by Kitchen Flavours and Emily's Cooking (Makan2) Foray.

3 comments:

  1. Oh my, I do enjoy the layering of flavors you used the rice for, especially the black-eyed beans.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Zosia,
    You've turned some leftover rice into new meals! And each one looks delicious. I would be happy to eat any one of those!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting. I'd love to hear from you.