Monday, March 21, 2016

Odile's Fresh Orange Cake - Tuesdays with Dorie

Poached Orange-Topped Cake, a variation of Odile's Fresh Orange Cake, was my baking project this week from Baking Chez Moi for Tuesdays with Dorie. Most of the group made this earlier in the month and it seemed to be a universal hit. I'm not surprised. It was light and moist and the layers of orange flavour from the cake, syrup and topping were wonderful.
This version involved arranging poached orange slices on top of the warm cake and pouring the poaching syrup over all, then allowing it to cool before serving.
Next time I'll dispense with the poached oranges and just serve fresh segments on the side since I had a few little issues: three oranges weren't enough and I had to slice up a few extra (unpoached) to cover the top of the cake; the poached oranges were very moist so the cake directly beneath them was a bit gummy. These were minor things that didn't take away from our enjoyment of this lovely dessert.

Visit here to see more versions of this cake and the Matcha Financiers, the other March baking project.

11 comments:

  1. Your cake turned out lovely. I do remember enjoying this quite a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Your oranges were cut so perfectly and your cake looks superb!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How pretty! Poaching issues aside - that is a lovely cake.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your cake turned out lovely, the oranges are so perfect. This was a great
    recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The artful arrangement of the orange slices on top makes this cake too perfect to eat.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Zosia, your cake is a work of art - lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your cake looks absolutely stunning and delicious to boot!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yours turned out so beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Absolutely beautiful cake. I keep meaning to make this and running out of time. I'm not surprised you needed more oranges. When I read the recipe it didn't sound like enough to me. I'm glad to know. I'll buy extra if/when I get around to making this.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting. I'd love to hear from you.