Monday, March 7, 2016

Matcha Financiers - Tuesdays with Dorie

This month for Tuesdays with Dorie, one of the chosen recipes was Matcha Financiers on page 206 of Baking Chez Moi. These sweet, buttery confections had the usual crispy-chewy exterior and dense but moist interior that you expect in a financier, and, as you can tell by the name, included matcha.
I wasn't very optimistic about the outcome of this recipe when I saw that the batter was a very scary shade of green thanks to the tea. I thought perhaps baking them in a madeleine pan might pretty them up enough that the colour would be overlooked but they turned out to be a much more attractive hue once baked so there was no need for it - my doubt or the madeleine pan - in the end.

Seeing the colour, most tasters expected a pistachio cake and were pleasantly surprised by the matcha, which was noticeable but not too assertive. They made short work of the batch.

Visit here to see what the other TWD members made this week. 

15 comments:

  1. Zosia,the matcha madeles seeshells look delicious ,I have made the matcha ones before and are yummy! but I have never made ones with pistachios in it but they look delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wasn't a fan of these :( But I love the way yours look baked in the madeleine pan!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your madeleine version is so pretty. I have never tried matcha so I am curious about these.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yours are so elegant! Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yours are so elegant! Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very clever! Your madeleines look perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  7. They do look perfect, I think I might use my madeline molds too. Great
    idea.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Using the Madeleine pan was brilliant and makes the little cakes so much more elegant and I bet they tasted better for that too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooooh these look just lovely. Green and all :) I am very much looking forward to testing this recipe next as it will be a new taste and quite an adventure. Love that photo, too. Just perfect :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. These cakes look perfect to me. Crispy on the outside. The color makes it difficult to like for some. It's an acquired taste.

    ReplyDelete
  11. They look beautiful! I'm glad to hear you liked these, it seems like there's a split decision in the group.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am glad you liked these. I am hoping I can find Matcha tea at my local store.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oooh, love the idea of financiers in a madeleine pan! They look so pretty! Did your tasters like the actual taste? Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Margaret. My peoples did like them (most of them anyway). The butter and sugar did a good job of diluting the matcha plus I used the lesser amount mentioned in the headnotes of an "everyday drinking" grade which is perhaps less potent than some others.

      Delete
  14. I love that you used the madeleine pan!! If I can find the matcha I will do the same. I have looked at two stores with no luck...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting. I'd love to hear from you.