Monday, March 28, 2016

Baked Custard Tarts - Cookbook Countdown

Thanks to lovely food bloggers Joyce and Emily and their Cookbook Countdown cooking challenge, I've been discovering some fabulous cookbooks that I already own but haven't yet cooked from. 

This past month, I've spent a little time exploring the food of Portugal through the recipes in The New Portuguese Table by David Leite. This book won't be going back on the shelf any time soon since there are too many recipes I'd still like to try and many I made have already become family favourites (Spinach with Toasted Breadcrumbs, Amped-Up Red Pepper Paste, Rice from the Pan combined with Black-Eyed Peas ....) but it's time to move on to a new book next month, so I'll finish now with a Portuguese classic, the famous custard tarts, Pastéis de Nata.
These decadent little pastries of cream and egg yolk-rich custard baked in a crisp puff pastry shell were delicately flavoured with lemon, vanilla and cinnamon: sweet and sublime. The recipe didn't produce the characteristic blistered surface but the sunny yellow tarts were perfect for an Easter Sunday celebration.
I'm linking this post to Cookbook Countdown hosted by Kitchen Flavours and Emily's Cooking (Makan2) Foray

4 comments:

  1. Knock2.. I am coming over for tea! Hope you had a lovely Easter celebration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm putting the kettle on now....

      Delete
    2. Drat...... Flight's delayed! :)

      Delete
  2. Hi Zosia,
    Portuguese tarts is one of my daughter's favourite! Your tarts looks fabulous! Lovely for tea time and the perfect snack to munch on anytime of the day. Glad to see that you have enjoyed trying out the recipes from this lovely book. I'll be looking into this book! On to the next one in April!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting. I'd love to hear from you.