Sunday, February 7, 2016

Sfinciuni (Sicilian Stuffed Pizza) - Cookbook Countdown

Our family pizza night sometimes includes homemade, sometimes take-out, but is always a chance for me to indulge in one of my favourite foods. Cooking this month from Marcella Hazan's Essentials of Classic Italian Cooking for Cookbook Countdown, I chose an unusual (for me) recipe for sfinciuni di San Vito, described as "two thin, round layers of firm dough that enclose a stuffing - called a conza - which are sealed all around".
The yeast-raised Sfinciuni Dough was a very basic recipe made in a food processor and though quite elastic when first made, was quite easy to roll out after it had fermented. 

I chose the Broccoli and Ricotta Conza comprising layers of fresh ricotta cheese, garlicky cooked broccoli, Parmesan cheese and some breadcrumbs to absorb any extra liquid. Once assembled, the sfinciuni was baked immediately, no need to proof a second time. The crust was thin and crisp and the layer of flavourful filling was just the right amount. A fun addition to pizza night!
For those who like things spicy, there was a little bomba sauce, a fiery, mixed vegetable and hot pepper Italian condiment, and as a special treat, a glass of my favourite soda, bittersweet Italian chinotto.
I'm linking this post to Cookbook Countdown hosted by Kitchen Flavours and Emily's Cooking (Makan2) Foray.    

5 comments:

  1. Delish! Love the sound of that Bomba sauce. In Malaysia, Bomba is the Fire Brigade! Very apt! The double crusted pizza is very Handy and Portable! Excellent choice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Zosia, I absolutely love this, it is one of my favorite Italian pie but I don't put in the hot spicys,
    Well done Zosia.( I'm actually from Italy Ital, Sicily that little piece of land right at the point of the boot of Italy, that's where I'm from.:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rosa. The compliment means a lot coming from someone who knows how to make it correctly ;)!

      Delete
  3. Hi Zosia,
    That looks really good! And I like the sound of the Bomba sauce. Just as Emily says, bomba is the fire brigade over here in Malaysia. Your pizza crust looks very golden and beautiful! I like both the recipes that you've made from this book!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OH! Yes please! This looks delicious. Cannot beat a nice stuffed 'pizza'.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting. I'd love to hear from you.