Wednesday, February 3, 2016

Poached Shrimp with Olive Oil and Lemon - Cookbook Countdown

This is the second recipe I've made this month from Marcella Hazan's Essentials of Classic Italian Cooking, the rarely used book I've chosen to cook from for Cookbook Countdown hosted by Joyce and Emily.
This recipe drew me in because I've never poached shrimp before and trying a new cooking method is always appealing to me, but more than that, I couldn't resist the author's description of this dish, "as sublime in taste as it is in simplicity". 

The poaching liquid was flavoured with celery, carrot and wine vinegar, and the shrimp, still in their shells, were cooked very briefly in it. After they'd been drained, cleaned and steeped in good olive oil and lemon juice, they were ready to serve with crusty Italian bread.
They were incredibly sweet and succulent with no hint of the sharp vinegar of the poaching liquid, just the fruity olive olive oil and lemon. The dish was as simple and sublime as the author promised and made a delicious starter.
I'm linking this post to Cookbook Countdown hosted by Kitchen Flavours and Emily's Cooking (Makan2) Foray

4 comments:

  1. Oh my! Delish! Great for tapas! Thanks for another great recipe from your chosen book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks so delicious! Another recipe for prawns! I also have some recipe with prawns. You might want to take a look at my blog :)


    Please visit and follow my blog (www.lazymomcooking.wordpress.com) or my Instagram (lazymom_cooking) for some recipe ideas :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Zosia,
    Wow, I wish that plate is on my table! Looks divine! We love shrimps and these would be welcome with big smiles all around!

    ReplyDelete
  4. If I had to pick a last meal, it would be shrimp. Of all the seafood it is by far my fave. This looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting. I'd love to hear from you.