Monday, February 15, 2016

Layered Crespelle with Tomato and Cheese - Cookbook Countdown

This entry in Cookbook Countdown, a cooking event that's encouraging me to cook from my growing stash of much neglected cookbooks, revolves around a European style pancake, thin and crêpe-like. I know them as (Polish) naleśniki, but in Italy, they're called crespelle. I've always made sweet variations but the author explains that in Italy, they're used as a pasta wrapper stuffed with savoury fillings.
For my adapted version (sans prosciutto) of Layered Crespelle with Tomato, Prosciutto, and Cheese from Essentials of Classic Italian Cooking by Marcella Hazan, the cookbook I'm cooking from this month, they were stacked with fresh tomato sauce, and mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses separating the tender pancakes. Marcella describes this as a "pie" but it reminded me of a crêpe cake.
It was like a lighter, less decadent version of lasagne and an unusual way to enjoy pancakes. Loved it!
I'm linking this post to Cookbook Countdown hosted by Kitchen Flavours and Emily's Cooking (Makan2) Foray.  

3 comments:

  1. Hi Zosia,
    This looks like mille crepe! Savoury pancakes stacked in layers of cheeses and tomato sauce, sounds really good to me! I should bring this book forward from the queue list for CC!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my, a lovely and delicious way to eat crepes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A savory crepe cake. Wonderful!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting. I'd love to hear from you.