Thursday, February 11, 2016

Italian Braised Beef and Sautéed Swiss Chard - Cookbook Countdown

Sunday roast is a tradition in my family. It takes a bit more time to prepare but is usually the source of at least one more family meal and, hopefully, a few lunches during the week. This past Sunday, I turned to Essentials of Classic Italian Cooking by Marcella Hazan for some new ideas.
 
I chose to make Pot Roast of Beef Braised in Red Wine, a recipe that helped transform a tough but economical cut of beef into tender, juicy meat through a slow simmer in a flavourful liquid, a blend of wine, broth and vegetables. Happily, there were plenty of tasty leftovers for a few extra meals.
I had a beautiful bunch of Swiss chard to serve as a side and used the author's recipe for Sautéed Swiss Chard Stalks with Olive Oil, Garlic, and Parsley. At a glance, it looked like it used the typical blanch and sauté method but it actually involved first cooking the stalks in water for a fairly long time. This really brought out their sweetness and made them very tender and almost silky. I included the leaves since I had no other plans for them, but I would have gladly eaten the stalks alone.

As has been my experience so far, Marcella and the book I've decided to cook from this month for Cookbook Countdown did not let me down. Both recipes were delicious and will be made again. 
I'm linking this post to Cookbook Countdown hosted by Kitchen Flavours and Emily's Cooking (Makan2) Foray.  

3 comments:

  1. Oh I love the idea of roast beef sandwiches! and hand pies with left overs! We hardly get Swiss Chard in my neck of the woods, so will not be able to enjoy them as you described. Glad you are enjoying Marcella's book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Zosia,
    A beautiful and delicious meal for Sunday roasts. And the leftovers can turn into a new dish! I like your simple sauteed Swiss Chards!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sunday Dinner was always roast when I was a kid. This looks like mom's. Tender and tasty.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting. I'd love to hear from you.