Monday, February 1, 2016

Frittata with Zucchini and Basil - Cookbook Countdown

Joyce of Kitchen Flavours and Emily of Emily's Cooking Foray have started a new cooking challenge, "Cookbook Countdown", perfect for cookbook collectors like me whose bookshelves are groaning with never or barely-used cookbooks. The premise is simple: choose any one of those books and cook as many or as few recipes as you like during the month and share your results on your blog. An excellent idea don't you think?
The project started in January and initially I couldn't decide which book to focus on (I have sooo many) until I made Lentil Soup last month, a recipe from Essentials of Classic Italian Cooking by Marcella Hazan. I do sometimes cook from this book but it's the same handful of recipes over and over again. 
Look at all of those flags! Those are the recipes I've wanted to make for years(!) but never have. That's about to change.

First up is Frittata with Zucchini and Basil. The author describes a frittata as an "open-faced Italian omelette", the most basic of which is made with eggs and cheese. This one includes onions and zucchini that are cooked slowly until soft and golden, not a quick step, but worth the time involved to develop the flavours of the ingredients. It seemed like a very large amount of zucchini for the number of eggs, but it all cooked down nicely.
Marcella gives a few options for cooking the frittata, thankfully, none of which involve flipping it in the air or sliding it onto a plate to invert it back into the pan. I chose to bake it and used the oven-safe cast iron skillet I'd used to cook the onions and zucchini.
This was a particularly delicious way to add vegetables to a meal and was fantastic hot and at room temperature. I will definitely make this again.

I'm linking this with Cookbook Countdown hosted by Kitchen Flavours and Emily's Cooking (Makan2) Foray.

Won't you join in?

7 comments:

  1. Zosia! Thanks for joining Joyce and I in our conquest of our piles of cookbooks!

    That is one great looking frittata... and no flipping involved. An interesting cookbook... I just chanced upon an authentic beef bolognese sauce that has milk in it! Have you ever tried a bolognese recipe with that ingredient in it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Emily. I think this challenge is going to be a lot of fun!

    I have made bolognese with milk from the book I'm cooking from now. The author is quite famous for her recipe and personally, I think it's worth the cost of the book alone. This is Marcella's recipe:
    http://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1015181-marcella-hazans-bolognese-sauce

    ReplyDelete
  3. Zosia, Thanks for the recipe link!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Zosia, love your cook books, your like me , I have a great collection of cook Books...P. S. Your frittata and zucchini basil looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Zosia, this really is a great recipe! Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Zosia,
    I have this book of Marcella Hazan, bought a few months ago and I have not used it yet! I can see it is going to be my cookbook in the next few months!
    I like the colour of your frittata, looks very fresh with the zucchini and basil, and sounds very delicious.
    Thanks for joining Cookbook Countdown. It is going to be fun cooking from our ever increasing cookbooks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely frittata. I love making those.
    Your cookbooks look like mine with all the colorful tags.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting. I'd love to hear from you.