Monday, January 11, 2016

Lemon Squares, French Style - Tuesdays with Dorie

Like last month, members of the Tuesdays with Dorie baking group are baking the two recipes chosen for January in the order they wish. I started with the lemon bars, which happen to be among my favourite desserts, along with lemon meringue pie, lemon curd by the spoonful.....

The recipe from Baking Chez Moi was quite different from most I've made with ground almonds in the shortbread crust and with part of the dough for the cookie base used as a crumble topping.
And then there was the enormous amount of butter in the curd. I couldn't bring myself to add it all and used only 43g (instead of 255g), and since I was changing the recipe, decided to try something I've wanted to do for some time, replace 1/2 the butter in the cookie dough with coconut oil to further reduce the butter flavour I'm not fond of. I made a half recipe of the dough, a full recipe of the curd but used only about 2/3 (with the rest squirrelled away for the baker to enjoy by the spoonful), and baked it in a 23cm square pan.

My cookie base was crunchy, not tender like shortbread.....because of the coconut oil? or a few minutes of over-baking? I'm not sure. Regardless, we loved them! They were a little less rich and buttery than the author intended but they were everything I love about a lemon bar plus more: tasty cookie base, bursts of zingy lemon with every bite, and the added crunch of an almond streusel topping. I'll definitely be repeating this one.

Visit here to see the other bakers' goodies.

18 comments:

  1. Ooooh, they look so good! Great idea to switch up the recipe a bit. Looks drool-worthy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great looking forward to baking this. I will stick with butter since my DH loves it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you're baking from the wrong book if you are not fond of butter LOL ;) I love how transparent your curd looks (I guess it's different consistency without the butter) and I do think coconut oil makes cookies and the like crunchier and but it looks like you were happy with your substitutions - good for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "I think you're baking from the wrong book if you are not fond of butter LOL ;)"

      I know....right? Luckily I have a lot of people to share the goodies with :)!

      Delete
  4. Glad you gave something different a try. I personally love butter and I LOVE lemon bars. I look forward to making these in two weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you gave something different a try. I personally love butter and I LOVE lemon bars. I look forward to making these in two weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These look fantastic! I am keen to try them next.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your lemon bars look great! Good idea using coconut oil!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your bars look delicious! So glad to see you reduced the butter. I am anxious to make these, but was feeling guilty about all of the butter.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your lemon curd looks decadent despite the substitution of coconut oil, so nicely set and what's the word I'm looking for? Curdy! Very nicely done. I had no idea you could sub one for the other, but I am of the camp "butter makes it better" ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, the coconut oil only went into the dough. I just reduced the butter in the curd to a few spoons.

      Delete
  10. Your lemon bars look fabulous, can't wait to do that recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I will have to remember your notes when I make these! They look delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  12. These look good…can't wait to try them in two weeks :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Zosia,
    Lemon bars are my favourite! Will be making these soon! I do agree that there's too much butter for both the curd and the crust when I read the recipe! I will reduce some of the butter too (and sugar!!).
    Your squares looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like all the changes you made. I wish I had made only half of the crust. I do like butter just not always the quantities that the recipe calls for. Look forward to our next recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yummo, these squares look so luscious - can't wait to make them.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am on the fence about making this because of all that butter! But it does certainly look good!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting. I'd love to hear from you.