Tuesday, November 10, 2015

Chocolate-Covered Toffee Breakups - Tuesdays with Dorie

Dorie likens this week's Tuesdays with Dorie pick from Baking Chez Moi to Heath and Daim candy bars which I've never had. To me it was an upscale version of a Skor bar, a sweet treat of crunchy, buttery toffee enrobed in bittersweet chocolate and finished with toasted almonds and a little vanilla salt.
The ingredients for it were basic and the technique much simpler to execute than it seemed during my first read through the directions but I did have to improvise with the equipment: my instant read digital thermometer worked fine in place of the recommended candy thermometer though I'd love to figure out a way to secure it to the pot with the probe suspended in the boiling concoction next time; lacking cutting boards that were large enough, I used baking sheets to flip the candy.

I'm a newbie to candy making and I was fascinated by all of the changes the toffee mixture underwent as it cooked, from filling my kitchen with the fragrance of browning butter as it first started to take on colour, to emitting the distinctive aroma of burnt sugar as the shade deepened and my thermometer told me it was done. 

Savoured slowly, the candy went perfectly with a cup of coffee as Dorie suggested, or a cold glass of milk, as my family preferred. This was a delicious and decadent treat worthy of gifting, and since the recipe made such a huge amount, that's what I did with most of it, much to my family's chagrin!

Visit here to see the rest of the group's Chocolate-Covered Toffee Breakups.

9 comments:

  1. Perfect for gifting (and they taste exactly like Daim bars in my mind!). I will be making this again but not for me - I'd just eat it all on my own!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup. I love Skor bars, and these are close to that. I will definitely be gifting this this year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yup. I love Skor bars, and these are close to that. I will definitely be gifting this this year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Vanilla salt?!? I've never heard of that! Where do you get yours? I so want some now -- what a perfect addition to this recipe! Also, I loooove the first photo -- fabulous composition!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Margaret. I make the vanilla salt with about 1 cup of large flake sea salt like Maldon and 1 vanilla bean, split, combined in an airtight jar. You just need to shake it every few days and in about 2 weeks, you have vanilla salt. It lasts a long time and makes makes a nice gift too.

      Delete
  5. Your toffee breakups looks fabulous! These are good! I made only half a recipe and they were all gone by the next day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes this was a big recipe, perfect for sharing. We found it addictive and a lot of milk drinking in our house too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful, they look delicious. We loved them a bit too much, I'm just sorry I didn't
    cut the recipe in half.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This was good, wasn't it. I gave up on the thermometer and just judged by colour.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting. I'd love to hear from you.